Thursday

The Gray That Started The Quest for Hair Color Ideas


I never considered hair color ideas until I finally found one. Actually my sister found it while I knelt down to tighten my roller blade.

"What's that in your hair?", she asked.

"I don't know. I don't have eyes up there," I said, "Get it out....Ouch! I said get it out - not yank out my hair!"

"You said 'get it out' so I did. And look what it is!" she said with a bit too much glee. "A gray hair! You've got gray hair!"

Are you kidding me? I'm not old enough for gray hair. I was getting ready to roller blade 12 miles and people with gray hair are too old for that. AND - I don't have kids so I really can't have gray hair.

Once I admitted they were there, they had to be dealt with - immediately. I thought this would be a simple trip to the store for a box of dye close to my natural color, but that was not to be. First I had to figure out what brand to go with. I could rule out the one just for men. But then what? Do I go with the one that's nice and easy or the one that makes me feel like I'm worth it? Once I got that sorted out I had to find a shade.

There are unlimited shades of brunette. Am I Natural Golden Brown, Natural Auburn Brown, and exactly what is Natural Medium Neutral Brown? It sounds so "average." I decided to find a color by holding my hair against the picture on the box. That worked until I noticed the pictures on some of the Medium Spice boxes didn't match. I finally decided I wasn't ready for a commitment and bought a "glaze"(or semi-permanent color) that would only last about a week. After coloring, my hair was a kind of muddy reddish brown, so I wasn't thrilled with the results. I can't prove it, but I suspect someone switched the colors in the box.

After this debacle, I wanted information before another attempt at coloring. As you read this blog, you'll see there's lot of information to think about (types of dyes, how long they last, how much they change your color, benefits or drawbacks, coloring techniques, etc). We've all seen botched dye jobs, so you need to know this before thinking about hair color ideas.

Did you know permanent dye is the only way to completely change color or lighten hair? If you want to go lighter, cover grays or dye your hair purple, now you know you need a permanent dye. Once you know how things work, you can think about hair color ideas and techniques. I never knew about lowlights and then learned they're good for blending grays and great for brunettes!

As the saying goes - knowledge is power, so you can make informed decisions. Also, the more you know, the better chance of getting results you want whether you color at home or go to a professional. An even better solution - try hair colors on before you make any decisions.

Hopefully you'll find this information useful and avoid wasting an hour and a half of your life standing in a drug store perplexed by hair dye.